About the Arts District
Beginning life as the Harrison Street Business Alliance in 1993, the rebranded Oak Park Arts District captured the new reality of a growing artistic community on Harrison. Encompassing the half mile of Harrison Street from Austin Boulevard west to Elmwood, the area is home to a thriving artistic community as well as a diverse variety of small enterprises. In addition to galleries and workshops focusing on the visual and performing arts, visitors can find businesses offering personal care services, health care and wellness, clothing and jewelry, restaurants and cafés, pet services, social services, and building services.
As commercial districts have become increasingly auto-focused and dominated by national brands, The Arts District presents a refreshing model of creative reuse, restoring vitality to a small-scale and walkable urban neighborhood. The semi-residential character and leafy streets create a user-friendly atmosphere for visitors. Access is superb: the CTA Blue Line and the Eisenhower expressway connect the district easily to the whole Chicago metro area.
Several special events punctuate the year: first, What’s Blooming on Harrison in May is succeeded by Art on Harrison, the district’s signature event in October, with Holiday Lights, the year’s finale. Third Friday Gallery Walks are scheduled year-round.
OPAD continues to welcome visitors as well as new business partners who support our vision. Come and celebrate the arts!
- President – Laura Maychruk (The Buzz Cafe)
- Vice President – Val Camilletti (Val’s Halla Records)
- Treasurer – Mark Finger (Neighborhood Dimensions)
- Secretary – Kim Humphrey (Bead in Hand)
- Director – Marcia Brown-Jackson (Studio 144)
- Director – Olya Dailey (Eastgate Cafe)
- Director – Dr. Mahmoud Lotfi (Royal Health Care)
- Director- Kathy Reller (Kathy Reller Designs)
- Director- Takara Bethea-Gudell (TAKARA)